Roads Traveled

This publication is in the words of the author, and in no way reflects the opinions or beliefts of the US Peace Corps, or the US Government.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Delicious Revenge

Alright, so the rain has fallen, and people have gotten themselves back on track. It was almost too late, but now people that were behind were able to plant their crops and save their income for this year.

In the meantime, I've been spending most of my days either helping friends with work on their farm, or managing the reforestation project for the WWF. We planted 1000 trees! The problem now is preventing them from getting eaten by goats and sheep. I HATE goats and sheep. They've already ruined a couple of the trees we have. They somehow were able to get past a fence of thorns that we had surrounded the trees with. How do they do that!? WHY!? There are a bajillion other trees and bushes for them to go find, but they make a point of breaking through our specially designed fences to eat the trees that cost money! ARGH!

A goat also broke into my concession when my door was broken and ate a whole bunch of plants in my garden. I was SO pissed, and I didn't even get to see which goat it was. But I fixed my door so that doesn't happen again.

But even that hasn't satisfied me. So my solution has become revenge. I've decided that sometime before I leave Cameroon, I will butcher a goat. It's not uncommon, for big holidays, like Christmas, most families will buy a goat to cook for the party. But this time, I want to be the one to cut it's neck open. Ha, I know, so morbid, but I've seen it enough detached goat heads that it's not all that traumatizing anymore. Maybe I'll even accompany it with something like "And this is for what your brother did to my garden!" And then we'll eat delicious meat.

That's all that's new with me. The next time I'm going to make a point of bringing a picture or two on my flash drive. I know, it's about time. It's really just that I hardly take pictures here. Photos seems like something for tourists, or when you're doing something special. So going out to the boutique to buy a bar of soap doesn't usually give me the inspiration to bring my camera and take a few shots.

But my goal is to start bringing it to everyday situations like that, so I can finally show a little bit of what it's like here. And, more selfishly, so I don't forget what it was like when I think back to this time years down the road. Say cheese, neighbors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home