Roads Traveled

This publication is in the words of the author, and in no way reflects the opinions or beliefts of the US Peace Corps, or the US Government.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

5 Months

It's been exactly 5 months since I arrived in my village. It's gone so quickly, that I can't believe it's already been that long. But I've also become so comfortable and habituated in my village, and made so many friends I can't believe those things happened so quickly. So, yeah, I guess that balances out to saying, "Yeah, 5 months, that sounds about right." Whatever.

I haven't been in Garoua in over three weeks, so I came into town for several work-related meetings, and to get some internet time in. It's been very productive, since I met with the World Wildlife Fund concerning a reforestation project I'm working on (I'm like one of their field agents), and I met with a group that works in on bringing potable water to rural villages. There's a whole bunch of pumps in my village, but their almost all broken, so we're gonna try to get them fixed and teach local people how to repair them in the future. Two very productive meetings. Sweet.

Besides that, life has been great. A friend of mine in village got married on Saturday. What happens is that he leaves his house empty on Friday night and goes to stay with a few friends (a bachelor party, if you will). Then his fiancee comes over with all of her friends and they set up the house, bring new furniture, get everything all pretty. Meanwhile all of his friends come over too, people play drums, and dance, and get really excited while she sets up the house. Then the next evening (saturday), he comes back to the house, meets with his fiance, and everyone gets all happy and dances with drums and flutes. If you feel like it, you can go up to the man playing the drum and stick money to his forehead. He gets really happy.

So I'm there, enjoying myself and mingling, when people suddenly say, "Alright! Time to go!" Go? Already? Nope. It's time for everyone to parade over to Abba's (my friend) mom's house. Alright, whatever you say. So we all march over there, drums and joy, and he sits down on a mat outside her front door. Two or three old men give him some advice, and then, "Alright, time to go!" What? It's time to go to the intersection down the street to give presents. Alright, whatever you say.

So we go to the intersection, wait around for a little bit, and then the gift-giving begins. Abba's friends read off all of the people who have already given gifts, and what they gave or how much money they gave. After each person, everybody cheers, and the next name is announced. Then other people who haven't given yet get to run up and give their money, and everybody cheers again. The process continues until all available funds are given. Horray! You're married!

On Sunday, another friend's church had the installation ceremony for their new pastor. So they held mass at the primary school, and invited others in the community (including yours truly). At first it was mass as usual, but then was the ceremony for the pastors. When they were officially declared ordained for the church, everyone cheered and ladies started screaming (their usual squeeling chirping noise that they do at all parties). One of them ran up with a pot and starting hugging them. I was afraid she was going to offer them soup, but it turned out to be confetti. Others followed suit, and one lady ran up and started hitting them (and their wives) on the head with a piece of fabric. Apparently this is to "clean them", because another lady started wiping their shoes with her fabric. Horray!

And now for the gift giving. EVERYONE at the ceremony (at least 250 people) parade past the new priests to give their gifts. Everyone gives something, be it clothes, money, a briefcase, or the best of all... soap. Soap is kind of the quintessential gift here because of it's utility. If you're giving a gift to a family, soap is always a good choice, because at one point or another, it will get used. Well let me tell you, these guys have enough soap to last about 15 years. Piles, and piles, and piles of soap. I just hope they wash their hands before eating.

So after that the party continues, more drumming, dancing, and squealing, and in the end, everybody was happy.

This coming Sunday is May 20th, which is the national holiday of Cameroon (like our July 4th). Since it's a Sunday, I'm estimating people are going to start drinking on Friday, and give up on Tuesday, peaking at the dance on Sunday night through Monday morning at Central Bar. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and I'm sure there will be some good stories for my next post. A bientot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home